A question about the electrolysis of water

As the topic, when we want to do electrolysis on water, we must add something into the water to increase the electricity conductivity of the water, so as to increase the rate of reaction.

Sometimes, we will add acid into the water. This is easy to understand. There is more H+ ions and the concentration is higher.

However, when we get NaCl into the water to make the water into dilute NaCl solution, the situation is totally different. There is Na+ and Cl- ions added into the water only, where both of them will not take part in the reaction. Then, why the electircity conductivity of the water will be increase? Why the rate of the reaction will be increase?

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Na+ is a metal ion and H+

Na+ is a metal ion and H+ can be classed as a metal ion also. notice how the elements in the periodic table are arranged, hydrogen (1st column) and oxygen (7th column) are in the same columns as sodium (1st column) and clorine (7th column)and thus the same group showin they have similar electron arrangements, So they do the same thing, as in, increase the conductivity of the water.
google.
I'm tired 4am..sleep.
I am not an expert on this at all. I'm still in school myself friend,but I'm sure google might help you out in your quest.

Earnshaw said it couldn't be done...Although the feeble man didn't know that, It didn't stop him from doing it anyway.

I know this and I do believe

I know this and I do believe this, but how? how it increase the electrical conductivity of water without losing electrons in the reaction?

*water* does not conduct

*water* does not conduct electricity.
Ions that are added to water do - they create an ion current.
Electrolysis of water with NaCl in it will conduct, from the RedOx of the salt ions. It will also form Sodium, on the anode, which will react with the water, and Chlorine gas at the cathode, which might kill you if you breathe it in.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.