ION Values

I am a first year chemistry student attempting to prepare myself for the class 2 months early on my own, so please forgive my basic question...

I am attempting to find a chart that will tell me all the ion charges of each element so I can be able to balance them easier when it come to problems....maybe I am not figuring this out right but I am using prof Zumdahl's text on Chemistry and throughout Chapter 2 he gives us the value of various elements and has us figure out the other value....I want to know how does one know the ionic value of each element

Thanks
Dennis

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Yes there is a chart and it

Yes there is a chart and it is called the "periodic table"!!
Many chemists find it very very useful :)

Not all elements do form "ionic" compounds anyways.

For metals which do, the charge on their +ve cation is usually the same as their group number
eg:
Group I alkali metals, like sodium, form +1 ions
Group II alkaline earth metals, like magnesium, form +2 ions
Group III (13) like aluminium, for +3 ions

For non-metals, on the right of the table, the -ve charge on their anion is usually (8 - their group number) (or 18 - their group number, if you count that way)

eg:
Group VII halogens, like fluorine, form -1 ions
Group VI chalcogens, like oxygen, form -2 ions.

The only tricky ones to work out at the d block transition metals in the middle, cos they can have variable oxidation states...
(eg copper can be +1 or +2 , iron can be +2 or +3, ... )
so it's probably easiest just to try and learn them.

http//www.feline1.co.uk

Thank you...obviously I am

Thank you...obviously I am familiar with the periodic Table of elements....but was not aware for that neat trick of using the group #'s If Mr. Zumdahl is the author of the Chemistry book my college uses...why couldn't he put that little note in the text. I am lucky to have forums to rely on...thanks again

Dennis

Well you can always go into

Well you can always go into the library and read some different books too! :)

http//www.feline1.co.uk

That comment by feline1 to

That comment by feline1 to Dennis Gerrits about going to the library and reading books made me really angry. Even though it was 15 years ago, I can still remember what it was like to be a first year engineering student. Go to the library? Who has the friggin' time for that? It's no wonder new students are reluctant to ask questions when there is always some jerk ready to make someone feel stupid for asking what they consider to be a basic question.

And just like all the other know-it-alls, you just couldn't resist the opportunity to show off in your first response, could you?

If you don't have time to

If you don't have time to read,
then you don't have time to learn.
If you don't learn, you stay stoopid.

See, if you had had the time to read my last comment properly
(that's after my comment when I helpfully gave him a useful answer),
you'd see what had made me smile was the idea that a single textbook could tell you everything you need to know.

http//www.feline1.co.uk

And as a first year

And as a first year Chemistry Student, I remember I had PLENTY of time to go into the library to read. All the books on Chemistry were in the "chemistry" section of the library, usefully sub-divided into organic, inorganic and physical chemistry.

We also had reccomended texts, which helped a lot.

Don't have time to read?
Pah!

So much for Engineering

So much for Engineering students anyways.
What do you think your degree is supposed to represent: whether you actully know something about engineering?
Or whether you can blag your way through a syllabus-based multiple-choice piece of nonsense so you can get a piece of paper at the end and make government education statistics look good?

I don't wanna be driving over a bridge or flying in a plane made by a "engineer" with your attitude!
Place crash! "It wasn't my fault, it wasn't on the lecture list! My textbook didn't have much about air turbulence in it" etc etc :-/

http//www.feline1.co.uk

Ah I wish I was a 1st year

Ah I wish I was a 1st year chem student again - instead of a 40 year!! You have already been given great advice - get stuck into the Periodic tables - which is easy courtesy of this great site - something we never had.
Being a wimp I try to keep out of ittle skirmishes on the side of things!! But cant resist in writing some agreement about "engineers" per se, its a chemists thing!!
Over these many years I have coined a phrase called " letting the genie out of the bottle." - meaning sometimes we all forget the basics.
Like the Chem Engineer that had worked on a carbon decolorising process- never to succeed because he never degassed the carbon to start!!
And the magical guy that presented all the delta t stuff and all that boring math about the energy required in a heat exchanger process on a whiteboard in front of all the crew - to be so way out he would have crashed somewhere on the moon- when an operator piped up- "mate all the flows and ratings are printed on a metal tag on the back of the heat exchanger "!!! Yo!!

Books to get from the Library- other folk have told how to get there - dont substitute CDs for these:

Merck Index
Langes Handbook of Chemistry
Hawleys condensed Chemical Dictionary
Chambers Scientific and Technical Dictionary
...find the oldest copies and chat up the librarian ( who are always still waters run deep ) and get her to "give" the tag eared copies to you.
We will be reading your stuff in about 6 years from now....cheers

U can always buy copies thru

U can always buy copies thru abebooks.com; they sell lots of stuff.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.