Chromium compounds: chromium trifluoride
The chromium in chromium trifluoride formally is in the oxidation state 3.
- Formula as often written: CrF3
- Hill system formula: Cr1F3
- CAS registry number: [7788-97-8]
- Formula weight: 108.991
- Class: fluoride
- chromium trifluoride
- chromium(III) fluoride
- chromium fluoride
- Colour: green
- Appearance: crystalline solid
- Melting point: 1404°C
- Boiling point:
- Density: 3800 kg m-3
Element percentages for the elements in chromium trifluoride
Solid state structure
- Geometry of chromium:
- Prototypical structure:
What follows is the calculated isotope pattern for the CrF3 unit with the most intense ion set to 100%.
107 5.2 ___
109 100.0 __________________________________________________
110 11.3 ______
111 2.8 _
The data on these compounds pages are assembled and adapted from the primary literature and several other sources including the following.
- R.T. Sanderson in Chemical Periodicity, Reinhold, New York, USA, 1960.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.
- F.A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C.A. Murillo, and M. Bochmann, in Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Trotman-Dickenson, (ed.) in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1973.
- R.W.G. Wyckoff, in Crystal Structures, volume 1, Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, 1963.
- A.R.West in Basic solid state chemistry Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Wells in Structural inorganic chemistry, 4th edition, Oxford, UK, 1975.
- J.D.H. Donnay, (ed.) in Crystal data determinative tables, ACA monograph number 5, American Crystallographic Association, USA, 1963.
- D.R. Lide, (ed.) in Chemical Rubber Company handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 77th edition, 1996.
- J.W. Mellor in A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry, volumes 1-16, Longmans, London, UK, 1922-1937.
- J.E. Macintyre (ed.) in Dictionary of inorganic compounds, volumes 1-3, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1992.