Boron compounds: boron nitride
The boron in boron nitride formally is in the oxidation state 3.
- Formula as often written: BN
- Hill system formula: B1N1
- CAS registry number: [10043-11-5]
- Formula weight: 24.818
- Class: nitride
- boron nitride
- boron(III) nitride
- Colour: white
- Appearance: crystalline solid
- Melting point: 3000°C (approximately)
- Boiling point: sublimes at < 3000
- Density: 2200 kg m-3
Element percentages for the elements in boron nitride
Solid state structure
- Geometry of boron: 3 coordinate: trigonal
- Prototypical structure:
What follows is the calculated isotope pattern for the BN unit with the most intense ion set to 100%.
24 24.8 ____________
25 100.0 __________________________________________________
The data on these compounds pages are assembled and adapted from the primary literature and several other sources including the following.
- R.T. Sanderson in Chemical Periodicity, Reinhold, New York, USA, 1960.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.
- F.A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C.A. Murillo, and M. Bochmann, in Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Trotman-Dickenson, (ed.) in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1973.
- R.W.G. Wyckoff, in Crystal Structures, volume 1, Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, 1963.
- A.R.West in Basic solid state chemistry Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Wells in Structural inorganic chemistry, 4th edition, Oxford, UK, 1975.
- J.D.H. Donnay, (ed.) in Crystal data determinative tables, ACA monograph number 5, American Crystallographic Association, USA, 1963.
- D.R. Lide, (ed.) in Chemical Rubber Company handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 77th edition, 1996.
- J.W. Mellor in A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry, volumes 1-16, Longmans, London, UK, 1922-1937.
- J.E. Macintyre (ed.) in Dictionary of inorganic compounds, volumes 1-3, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1992.